Thursday, November 4, 2010

Changes Aren't Permanent, But Change Is

I am about to go canoeing.

Due to the late hour along with last second tidying of the great clutter, I won't be able to devote too much time into this.  Apologies (one).

So, the basics:

What - Beloit, Wisconsin to Houston, Texas.

How - In a 17 foot canoe.

Where - I'll walk the canoe from 817 Church St to the Rock River.  From there: Rock River to the Mississippi River.  In Louisiana I'll lock over to the Atchafalaya River and travel south until the Intracoastal Waterway.  I'll make a right hand turn and head to Houston.  And if I'm feeling up to it, a finishing upstream paddle of Buffalo Bayou.

Who -  Just me and Nico (dog).

When -  November 4, 2010 until ????  I don't have a clue.  Apologies (two).  But I'm going to try to find out.

Why - For the same reason that was given to the Panama City Beach security guards when they inquired about digging holes in the sand.

Apologies (three).  All of you deserved finding out about these plans in a much more personal way.  I really had planned on it, too, but the whole great clutter of my house (if you've ever visited 817 Church... you know) took a bit of time to sort out/throw away/donate away.  In fact, if my parents hadn't of arrived to help, I'd still be sorting through the mess and I wouldn't have been able to leave until it was really (really) too cold.  As it turns out, I have quite the keepsake/sentimental value problem.

But I've released my possessions (well, some of them).  I've released my lease.  I've released my employment.  My shoulders feel light... I'm ready to paddle.

5 comments:

  1. You know you're going to Houston right? The armpit of humanity...so glad I left that craphole of a city.
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  2. godspeed karlson! we'll be thinking of you and checking on you regularly, mainly in 7 character increments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot believe you are doing this. I thought I lived an insane life. I guess you are there as well. We will ALL be following you, praying for you, encouraging you, and hopeful that you will stay safe, enjoy the solitude, and definitly learn something along the way! THE WHITE CLAN!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "As it turns out, I have quite the keepsake/sentimental value problem"

    HAaaaaHaaHaaaHHaaaaHAaaaaaaHhaaaHHAaaaaaaHhHHAAaaa. Haa. Hah. Ha.

    Ahhhhh.

    Whhhhew.

    that cracked my shit up for serious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different"--Kurt Vonnegut.
    Enjoy your travels. Sounds like a great adventure.

    J. Tabbert

    ReplyDelete