Thursday, July 17, 2014

Team 242 Supper Clubs: Day Five

Wausau, Wisconsin to Fond Du Lac, Wisconsin.

Distance pedaled: 127.39 miles.

2.5 days of not riding and feeling sorry for myself, I thought it was time to get back on the bike.  Body be darned.

After the 147 mile day two years ago, I was pretty much convinced that anything over 100 miles is, well, you know, just not enjoyable.  And after today, well, so, uh, yeah.  The weather was perfect: we started off at 48 degrees and topped out at around 70 degrees, the wind was mostly a tailwind, and the roads/trails were mostly smooth.

Thoughts:

The trails weren't always perfectly smooth.  One had a section of deep sand and it led to the first crash of the trip:


Other upright pictures from the trail:



To reiterate, I love the rails to trails.  I moved to the front of the group for a little while and pretended I was the engine of a train.  Choo-choo.  I might have made some sounds.  (Sidenote: Ben Gura has joined us this evening and I hope he does his Choo-Choo (come and ride the train) dance tomorrow.)

I still like trains.

-----------

100 miles is a long (drive) ride inside of a (car) bicycle.

110 miles is a long (drive) ride inside of a (car) bicycle.

127.39 miles is too far inside of a (car) bicycle.

-----------

But 127.39 miles in perfect weather conditions wasn't the worst thing in the world.  It really was enjoyable.

-----------

I ended up with three ticks today.  None embedded.

Even though the trails were smooth, some were overgrown and legs kept getting whacked by brush.  It reminded me of an idea I had about running with someone (nobody in particular, just a test) on an overgrown trail in Houston.  If she complained about the blood and bruises on her legs post run, so be it.  And if she had fun and was amazing - elope.

-----------

No Outlet signs sometimes means No Outlet.

-----------

Oodles of road killed deer today.  Too many Bambi's, too.

-----------

Track 11: Camera Obscura - Country Mile.

I won't be seeing you for a long while.  I hope it's not as long as these country miles.  I feel lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment