Thursday, July 12, 2012

Team 242: Day Eighteen (Part 2)

We're about to leave New Orleans.  I have these pictures I want to post.

I'll be brief with my thoughts.

Before the last bridge into Grand Isle we were getting hit by a heavy rain (no lightning).  As we approached the bridge I noticed a pedestrian sidewalk that was divided from the lanes of traffic.  Unlike yesterday, I said something.  I yelled.  But the three in front of me (even though just a few feet away) did not hear and started the climb.  I stopped and took the sidewalk/path over the bridge.  At the top and still in a heavy rain, I stopped.  5/6 of the sky was grey or black and full of rainy weather.  The 1/6 to my right was clear and with blue skies.  I tried connecting thoughts and deeper metaphors involving rain and blue skies.  I thought about Noah and the Whale and their song Blue Skies.  But mostly I just enjoyed the feeling of the heavy rain, on a pedestrian path alone, with a small sliver of blue sky shining through.

We made it to the beach.

We ran out of road.

And again instead of forcing feeling, I just let it happen.  And what happened... Least Terns were hovering and diving into the water, fish were jumping, a Reddish Egret was doing its wing dance to scare some food, and smaller fish were scattering in the water.  I knew why the smaller fish were scattering and a few moments later, the dolphins appeared.

I can't quite fathom that what I've done is anything special.  I just rode my bicycle for 18 days and 1800 miles trying to pick up on what was happening around me.

And I miss my friend.






Track 11: Jonsi - Saint Naive.  To know there's nothing you can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment