Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Team 242: Day Eight

Day Eight: Sterling, Illinois to Peoria, Illinois.  90.96 miles.

The morning started with another appearance by Mom and Dad and Nico.

Dave, Becky, and Eaux rode north back to Beloit.  And then there were 5 (4 bicyclists) left heading south.

Today was right in my wheelhouse.  I didn't hit any homeruns, but today was mainly trails and gravel road.

We started off by crossing the Rock River on the first dam (of two) in Sterling.  This brought back memories to both portages I've had around the dam.  I (we) portaged left both times (over a half mile portage), but Sterling has made improvements to river right and they've created a much shorter portage (less than 100 feet).  Rock River canoeists take note.

The path across the bridge turns into the Hennepin Canal trail and we followed the trail for over 30 miles.  The surface turned from crushed limestone to rolling dirt with tree branches strewn everywhere to a paved path and then back to crushed limestone.  My riding compatriots were tired of the path by the time we arrived at the end.  Erik had a flat.

Just a few miles away from our location, a thunderstorm rumbled.  We only received a couple of drops of rain.

We then took some rights and lefts on some Illinois roads.  We quickly discovered that on our route any road named County Line Road is a sure bet for gravel.  After checking our maps and determining that any reroute would add miles onto the day, we pushed through all the gravel.  No spills or flats.

And in Toulon, we took the Rock Island Trail all the way to Peoria.  The Rock Island Trail now sits in the Number Two position (lists are important) as prettiest rail-to-trail trail that I've ridden.  (It will take something mighty special to bump Elroy-Sparta from the Number One spot).

I love rails to trails.  No traffic and a lot more nature.

I love gravel roads.  No traffic.

But the downside to what I enjoy: riding trails/gravel is tougher than smooth pavement.  And with tomorrow scheduled as a 144 mile day... well, we'll see.

Track 11: The Mountain Goats - Chinese House Flowers.  It makes me get all misty because I remember something.  And then I see your shadow.

No comments:

Post a Comment