Friday, December 3, 2010

Day 30 (Karl)

I promised myself I wasn't going to count paddle strokes.  I haven't.  I haven't even been tempted.

Today, however, I did some counting.  Bald eagles.

I tried not to count duplicates.  Meaning, if I saw a bald eagle and it flew down river and then .5 mile later, there was a bald eagle in a tree, I made the assumption it was the same one.  Unless, of course, the initial bald eagle was an adult and the one down river was a juvenile (this happened a few times).  The day started off with a consistent pace of bald eagle sightings.  Ten miles into the day and I was already at 13 eagles.  But then at Smoots Chute there were 5 eagles on the ground by the water's edge and another 7 in the tree above them.  With the day ending, I was at 37, and I could hear Mike Donovan (and others) in Mr. Utz's class slurring their speech in pronouncing, "thirty-seven."  But then I saw one more.  So: 38.

Other bird news:

Mississippi becomes Missisquoi.  I came around a bend and scattered 18 great blue herons.

Hurls drives from Beloit to Harvard.  11 turkeys.

A small group of Northern Shovelers brings the species count to 50.

[On a sidenote: In 2000 (perhaps 2001), Dana, then Redwine, looked at me and declared something along the lines of, "you're one of those bird people aren't you."  I wasn't.  I just enjoyed being outside.  We couldn't grasp the notion of how bird people are, well, bird people.  But now: yes Dana, I am one of them.]

Today's Coordinates

39 59.216 N     91 27.156 W

4 comments:

  1. You know...I've been "silently" following along and enjoying the ability to live my life through your journey. It makes you think about your life and wonder why...

    Why the hell are you actually doing this????

    I say that tongue-in-cheek because I really don't know the underlying reasons why you wanted to do such an event. Is it because you're...bored, crazy, lonely, have nothing better to do, always dreamed of this, love hanging with your dog, never want to return to Beloit and only wanted to take your canoe and dog with, wanted to read some books, didn't see enough birds in Beloit???? This is the part that intrigues me because I think about my life and wonder why I would want to do such an event.

    I'm sure you, as well as anyone, would have their own reasons why you would want to attempt something such as this. I feel as if I have gotten to know you fairly well through the Dave ride and Team242 but I don't know you as well as many others. If you are willing to share, I'd love to hear the reasons why you chose to do this? That may be something that you only want to keep for yourself but if you're willing to share I'm sure it would be very thought provoking for myself and perhaps some of the other "followers".

    I feel as if I'm getting to know you better through your journey eventhough I'm not actually with you. Be safe, paddle straight, and may all your days be memorable.

    Until next time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rich,
    In one of the earliest posts by Karl he gives his reason for why refering to a security guard. As being a witness to karls response to the panama city security guard he referenced sir Edmond Hillary's reason for climbing mount everest being the same..."because it's there". Now I'm sure he's going to be able to tell you better, I believe that its because this trip is just as necessary as us digging a 7 foot deep hole in the panama city beach in search for lesbians. I hope it ends better than The hole!

    Have fun y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are one of the most fantastic "bird people" I will ever know. Just for your information, thanks to one of my children, I can now id three birds...and one is NOT a crow.
    I am following you daily and feel so so so so famous for being mentioned let along SIDENOTED!!!! Wow, I can only imagine what your days are like on that boat with the dog. Stay safe and sane!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. grungy, i had the enjoyment of watching a bald eagle chase a cripple duck on the marsh for about 20 minutes a few years ago. Very interesing interaction... Those tallons scare the hell out of waterfowl.

    stay away from the shoves they are very bad tasting and are no fun to shoot.

    missouri river is going to start flowing ice by the end of the week here. I really hope you do not experience ice chuncks. If you do get into that situation please get off the river!!!!

    ReplyDelete