Thursday, December 2, 2010

Day 29 (Karl)

Perhaps you've heard: Minnesota's state bird really isn't the loon.  There really are only two seasons in Wisconsin.

And you know what they say about the weather in Nauvoo, Illinois, if you don't like it, just wait 72 hours.

(And it shall pass.)

I must admit, holed up in a tent for three straight days watching the wind whip up waves gets weary.  Letting the days go by with wavy water holding me down, well, you start asking yourself questions.  Am I right?  Am I wrong?  My God, what have I done?

The cynical few might respond, "What did you expect?  You left on November 4."

But today I was into the blue again.  And thankfully the water was silent.

Though one hour into today's paddle brought a slight (~5 mph) headwind.  On other days, such a small wind is hardly perceptible, but on the flowage, it's a mighty wind.  Along with the decreased current that exists above the dams, today's first 11 miles took 4 hours.

But the effort was worth it.  Two reasons:

Lock and Dam 19.  The lockmaster along with the other workers were the friendliest I've encountered.  Plus, I didn't have to wait for a tow to lock through.  However, the process still took approximately one hour as they had to fill the lock up upon my arrival.  Once full, I was allowed to enter and then the drop began.  35 feet.  I'm not sure of the width, but the length of the lock is 1200 feet.  As Owenby noted: they filled all of that up and then had to drain it.  Just for you, Nico, and your stinking (17 foot) canoe.  It was a nice moment.

My dad.  With weather and temperature concerns, he decided to make the drive from Houston, Texas to Keokuk, Iowa to operate as a support vehicle (sag wagon).  One mile down river from Lock and Dam 19, there he was.  We met up again at Gregory's Landing (another 9 miles down river) as the sun was starting to set and the owls were in full hoot.  My dad came to Iowa.  Just for me, Nico, and my stinking canoe.  It is a nicer moment.

This is my beautiful life.

Today's Coordinates:

40 16.975 N     91 29.696 W

2 comments:

  1. L&D19 sounds like such fun!! Nice to have support--just in case. We're due for SNOW!! Finally! Yay! Our 2 Nygren visiting/resting Whooping Cranes have moved on--did you by any chance see them fly by??? Miss you much, wish you nice, nicer, and many nicest moments...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one of the best things I have ever heard. Give your Dad a big hug from me!

    ReplyDelete